12.12.2016

Book Review:The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill

Normally I would start a raving review about Julie Klassen. The previous books that I have read by her were different, yet entertaining. Unique, but eye-catching, and imagination stretching, but I cannot let myself say the same about this book.
I honestly did like the story itself, or the idea of the story.
Maybe it was the ending that ruined the whole story. It is a series, but I think that the ending just threw me. I probably will give the second book a try just because I'm expecting that happy ending, and the book leaves you expecting...something.
Another possibility as to the reason of my dislike for this novel is that nothing was how I predicted it to be. I'm not going to spoil it for anyone...so if you like unpredictable stories with abrupt endings, this is the story for you. If these types of novels aren't your proverbial "cup of tea" then I would recommend a completely different story.
To be perfectly honest I was glued to this book until the "ahem" abrupt and alarming ending, but as soon as I realized that I had read the last word, I wanted to throw something.
I'm not saying that this isn't a good book, because it really is a good one, but I personally didn't fall in love with this one. And while I desperately want to give it five stars, I can't.
Thus, I will dub thee, Innkeeper of Ivy Hill, with a mere three out of five stars, and hope that your sequel sister far outshines, and renews my love for you.
Okay, I'm getting a bit loopy. :)
(Sorry, long teacher day!)




If you have any questions let me know below in the comments. I'd be happy to answer anything!


In the long run Julie Klassen really is an outstanding author who is extremely dedicated to her work, this book just wasn't for me. If you're anything like me you would enjoy The Apothecary's Daughter far more. It too was written by Julie Klassen and is one of her first novels. Give her a try, she's a great lady.




I was given this book by NetGalley for a complete and honest review.




No comments:

Post a Comment